Global Sport ~ Global Learning is a project that provides children and young adults with the opportunity to share with others, elsewhere in the world, the benefits of sport and global learning.
The project enables groups to experience new sports, communicate those sports through sports manuals to similar groups overseas and to then receive feedback on their manuals from the overseas groups that have been using them.
THE PROJECT AIMS TO:
Generate understandings and experiences of new and traditional sports as well as fostering an awareness of the global context in which we live, work and play.
All sessions are tailored to the needs of individual groups and include:
Where groups learn how to play the sport through fun activities and games in a semi-competitive environment.
Exploring the history of the sport, where the sport is played in the world, the skills and rules of the sport as well as general issues around: what sport means to us,
the benefits of physical activity and important issues such as bullying, inclusion, diversity, success/achievement and barriers to participation.
The project is five sessions each approximately 90 – 120 minutes in length (two standard school lessons), plus additional short sessions to present completed manuals and to feedback reports and presentations from groups overseas.
PROJECT BENEFITS THE PARTICIPANTS BY DEVELOPING:
- Knowledge of new and traditional sports.
- Key skills including communicating, thinking, problem solving and working as part of a team.
- Positive personal attributes such as leadership, self discipline, responsibility, confidence and determination.
- Real world values, such as honesty, respect, commitment, courage, fairness and selflessness and the ability to evaluate the importance of values.
- Understanding of the global world and an appreciation for others locally, nationally and globally.
- Experience of having worked with international coaches to develop educational resources that will be used by groups and organisations elsewhere in the world.
THE GS–GL PROJECT BENEFITS SCHOOLS, HELPING THEM TO IMPROVE:
Expanding appreciation of diversity, different cultures, global learning and responsible citizenship.
Offering a participative experience and providing a purpose through the production of a sports manual enthuses the children.
SOCIAL SKILLS AND BEHAVIOUR
Confidence, rapport and support
is built amongst the group promoting teamwork – lasting beyond the project.
TAILORING THE PROGRAMME TO MEET YOUR EXACT PREFERENCES
We’ve worked successfully with over 65 schools, tailoring the programme for a variety of contexts and supporting training for staff. We’re happy to discuss your needs and tailor the programme to meet your exact preferences and budget.
In each of the programmes our children fully engaged in the key aims of helping to encourage a healthy lifestyle, playing a sport fairly within the rules, in an atmosphere where opponents are respected and to consider the global implications of supporting communities elsewhere in the world.
Stewart Reader, Dunn Street PS, Jarrow, UK